A Brief History of SMK Haji Zainul Abidin

Saturday, August 29, 2009

SMK Haji Zainul Abidin was located formally at Scotland Road, Penang. It was opened in 1965 as an extension school. Six other extension schools were also tranferred to this school at that time. It was then transformed into a lower secondary school with the name Scotland School Secondary School with a student population of about 726.

In 1967, the school was officiated by the then cheif minister of Penang, YAB Tan Sri Wong Pow Nee. 1986 saw an increase in the number of students to 1371. In 1972 the name of the school was changed to Haji Zainul Abidin School in rememberance to the noble deed of a local Malay educationist who is none other than Tuan Haji Zainul Abidin bin Sultan Mydin of Penang.

In 1982, students with low vision were also placed in this school via a programme known as Blind Students Assimilation Programme and it was the first school in Penang to have such a programme. Blind and low vision students will study together with normal sighted students using the same curriculum and classrooms. This is to ensure that visually disabled students were able to be part of society and be independence when they leave school.

Haji Zainul Abidin school became a full-fledged secondary school in 1986 when 112 pioneer students took the SPM examination for the first time. Until March 1993, this school attained grade B status and beginning March 1993 via a circular by the Ministry of Education, the school was upgraded to grade A.

Posted by Kolej T6 Haji Zainul Abidin at 9:50 PM  

Post a Comment